This morning we braved the non-line at the AT&T store to pick up the new 3GS. So far the phone seems to have all the most important features and I’ll take a moment to list my favorites:
1) VIDEO – As a former Treo user I’ve been disappointed for years that we didn’t have this feature on the iphone. It works great and with 1 click upload to youtube its extremely simple to use.
2) COMPASS – For next time we’re lost hiking in the Alps this app comes standard.
3) SEARCH – This feature was also part of the 3.0 upgrade available for all iphones. Simply scroll to the left and a search screen appears. Basically similar to the Mac spotlight feature it comes up with the best results based on everything on your phone, even emails and contacts.
4) CALL LOG – A new update to the call log that I saw immediately was that under the names it tells where the call originated. For instance “City, State”
5) VALUE – At $199 for the 16 gig its a steal. If you haven’t purchased a new phone in the last 18 months sign up now. If you (like me) purchased the original 3G last year it gets a little more tricky. Check out this FAQ from CompuWorld to get the low down on your AT&T options.